Many people just see their air conditioner as a tool to keep their home cool and comfortable. However, your air conditioner plays a crucial role in keeping your home healthy. HVAC units can help clean up indoor air pollution and ensure you are receiving fresh air throughout your home. In this article, we will share the 3 ways in which air conditioners help to improve indoor air quality.
Filtration is one of the main ways that air conditioners help to prevent indoor air pollution. To ensure your HVAC unit is effectively filtering out pollutants from entering your home, you must replace the air filters every 3 months. During months where you are using your HVAC unit very often, such as during peak summer months, we recommend checking the air filter more frequently to ensure it isn’t clogged or dirty before the 3 month time period. Appropriate filtration can drastically improve indoor air quality, so make sure to change your filters regularly!
Ventilation is key to maintaining good indoor air quality. Your HVAC system relies on vents to pump fresh air into your home. This healthy airflow can prevent the concentration of indoor pollutants and stale air. To improve ventilation, you can make sure your air vents are free of dust, debris, or any foreign objects that may be blocking the vents. If you need more ventilation, you may want to open your windows and doors to allow for increased airflow and help improve ventilation without relying on the air conditioner alone. When you are cooking or bathing, we recommend running exhaust fans to draw the hot air and particles out of the home. Nobody likes to be in a stuffy room, so make sure you have good ventilation.
System enhancements, such as dehumidifiers and advanced filtration systems, can help drastically improve indoor air quality. At Carolina Comfort Air, we carry a variety of HVAC system enhancements to help improve indoor air quality, including:
- Portable Air Filter – Portable air filters can be placed in rooms to remove microbial populations on surfaces as well as reduce airborne contaminants. This system enhancement can also reduce smoke and odor pollutants inside your home.
- Air Scrubber – Like portable air filters, the Air Scrubber by Aerus helps to reduce surface and airborne contaminants in your home. The Air Scrubber installs directly into your HVAC system, making it an easy system enhancement to add to your home.
- UV Lights – UV lights are a great system enhancement for those seeking to alleviate allergy or asthma symptoms caused by bacteria and other contaminants growing inside your HVAC equipment. By reducing bacteria growth, homeowners can breathe easier with cleaner air.
- Whole-house Air Filtration System – Are you looking to invest in a bigger system enhancement? Consider adding a whole-house air filtration system like the Trane Clean Effects, which removes up to 99.98% of allergens from filtered air.
- Dehumidifier – Excess moisture can build up, leading to mold and bacteria growth. Adding a dehumidifier to your home can be an easy system enhancement to prevent stuffiness in rooms and eliminate musty smells.